Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Latest quilt


I just finished this quilt top & back a few days ago. I was excited about it because it was made solely from leftovers, yeah! Finally! It was the first one that I've done that I didn't have to buy any fabrics for, including the backside too. I have this thing with trying to use up left overs. I don't know why, I am not really that thrifty in other areas of my life. But with fabric, I am always trying to do that! I think that is why I don't particularly think my quilts are that cute. Because most of them usually start with scraps from another quilt. I tell myself that I am going to make this little quilt and "I will just use leftovers - all for the sake of just being at my sewing machine and sewing. Just because I love the whole process. But I won't spend any money on this one. No, no. It will just be scrappy and just give me something fun to work on." But I always end up needing to buy a bunch more fabrics to finish the quilt and by the end, I have spent a bunch of money on a quilt that I didn't specifically set out to do. But with this quilt I finally did it. I finally made an entire quilt top & back without buying any new fabrics. And, I think it turned out pretty decent. The only thing I will have to buy is batting. I haven't decided if I will quilt it myself or get it professionally done. I think I am leaning towards the latter though. This quilt was originally called Southern Hospitality and the blocks are "Cake Stand Blocks." It is just a throw size quilt (about 48" square.) Ryan asked me if it "had a purpose?" Do quilts really have to have a purpose? It is just fun o.k.?:) But, if it makes any of you feel better, I will probably put it in Maya's room, along with 3 or 4 other quilts o.k.? Do I sound a little self-conscious? I know I have an addiction.
Post a Comment