Ugly Quilt

Wednesday, November 19, 2008


I call this my "Ugly Quilt" because while I was making it, I kept thinking "this is kind of ugly!" I was a little embarrassed about the color choices I used, but I guess when it was finally complete it kind of grew on me and now I think it's not so bad. It was really a fun quilt to make though. Every block is the same construction, but the colors are different in each one. No two blocks are the same. If you look close, you would be surprised at the color combinations, but I guess that's what adds to the whimsy/scrappyness (did I just make up that word? How would you spell that if it was a real word?) of it. I used muted colors, threw in a few pastels, but even the darks are kind of muted. This fits a twin size bed. It was quilted in a swirl pattern by the ladies at The Quilting Cottage in American Fork, UT.


This was a spur of the moment project. Sandy Bonsib was coming to speak at the Utah Valley Quilt Guild (about 250 - 300 members, I think. I haven't been going for the last 6 months or so.) So I decided to do it so I could take it to share in the "show and tell" portion of the meeting. As always I thought, I can just use scraps, but then ended up buying a bunch of fabrics to fill in for colors that I was short on. I hurried to get it done in time, but then realized that I was going to be out of town that month that Sandy Bonsib was going to be there. So it was finished about a month later. It took a couple of months to assemble the top. It was finally complete in March or April of this year.


The pattern for this quilt can be found in Sandy Bonsib's Folk Art Quilts book. She calls her quilt, Color Me Bright. Hers was made to be a baby size quilt. The block name is "friendship block" or "album patch."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ambs,
    It's Lindsey and I wanted you to send me another email to join your blog...I delted the last one because I didn't know what it was...now I can't have you as a friend because of it. And by friend I mean blogging friend, you'll be my friend no matter (hee hee). Anyhoo send me an invite would ya?Thanks!
    Linds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this quilt a lot. I think it is the bright funky color combos. So I think you should re-name it! It is not ugly!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber