Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cinnamon, Cloves, Molasses - Oh my!!!

O.K. I've posted this recipe before, but it's that time again. Kids playing in the leaves. Crisp, sunny days and pumpkins all around. I love this recipe and it is a perfect fall treat. It had been a little while since I had made any treats around here (maybe because of all the Halloween candy we had goin' on and still do) so I was in the mood today to put my cooking skills to good use. Last time I posted this, I had no pictures so here you are ~

Gingersnap Cookies with Pumpkin Butter Sauce
(Thanks Misty and Keri for sharing this recipe with me - it's a favorite!)

Cream together:
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses

Add:
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 & 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cloves

Mix together.

*** Feel free to lick the spoon here ***

Make yourself a pretty little package and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Roll into walnut size balls and roll in sugar to coat.

*** Suddenly the kids wanted to start helping. Even though I couldn't pay them enough to make cookies with me earlier ;) Geez. ***

*** I wonder why they wanted to help?***

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-9 minutes. Do not over cook.

And you're definitely gonna want some of this to go with it:

Pumpkin Butter Sauce
(1) 15 oz. can pumpkin pie filling
2 cups powdered sugar
(1) 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar

Blend all ingredients together. Serve sauce in a bowl, next to the plate of cookies. To eat, spread on one side of cookie and enjoy.

Now, all that talk got me hungry. I think I need to go get another one...
(I wrote that last night. I'm not getting "another one" at 8 o'clock in the morning.)
** Yields approximately 2 dozen cookies and enough pumpkin butter to last a lifetime. You could definitely quadruple the recipe for the cookies and still have pumpkin butter left over.

8 comments:

Cassie said...

Yum! These are SO good. Your bid bag of baking soda came to mind the other night--well in fact, everytime I get my little box out, and it makes me laugh. ;)

a little bit biased said...

I know. Seriously. That will probably last me until the day I die.

Keri said...

These are so yummy! Thanks for the treat today. I think this recipe originally came from Misty, and yes, it's also one of my fav's. I'm going to be making them soon!!

L Johnson said...

Looks delish Amber!

b davis said...

We made those a couple weeks ago. They sure are wonderful. And perfect for this time of year. I personally am not a fan of the dough, but once it is cooked up and frosted, they are irresistible.

~kathy said...

yummm...I love fall recipes!

Tammy said...

I can't wait to try this recipe out! From all the comments they do sound like a big hit! Thanks for sharing, Ambs
xoxo

Jeannie said...

I'm making these for FHE treat today! They look irresistable and perfect for fall! I have all my ingredients purchased and ready . . . thanks for sharing!