Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'm kind of a loner.

I don't have a lot of close friends that quilt. 
So when one of my bestest (non-quilty) friends told me she wanted to make a quilt (and asked ME if I would help her) I jumped all over the chance.  She looked around the Internet and sent me pictures of some quilt blocks she liked.  We quickly decided on a string quilt because who could resist such a cute quilt as this?

We roped in two more "non-quilty" friends to join the fun and last night we had our first work-night.  I told them not to buy fabric quite yet and that I would supply some for their first few blocks (at least).


(This may not look like much, but I probably have enough fabric in this basket to make 2 or 3 quilts!)

These blocks were so simple and so fun to make. 
No matching up seams. 
No making sure you get the right color in the right place. 
This was such a great project for a newbie quilter. 
And a great way to use up scraps! 

We followed Ashley's tutorial to make our first few blocks:


We made a big mess (I didn't mind) and had lots of fun.
No one else would pose for the camera :) but this is Keri who headed up this fun project.  Thanks, Keri!


Of course, it would not be a true girls night, without treats, so I made
Nutter Butter Frozen Peanut Butter Pie:


Recipe:
24 Nutter Butter cookies
5 Tbsp. butter, melted
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla
8 oz. container of cool whip topping, thawed, divided

Crush cookies.  Mix cookie crumbs and butter.  Press onto bottom and sides of 9-inch pie plate.  Mix cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until well blended.  Gently stir in 1-1/2 cups of whipped topping.  Spoon into crust.  Freeze 4 hours or overnight until firm.  Let stand 1/2 hour before serving.  Garnish with remaining whipped topping and additional cookies if desired.  Special garnish ~ just before serving, drizzle chocolate syrup on plates.

**I'm such a sucker for chocolate and peanut butter!  See here.**


Anyways, I know I said this project was a great stash buster, but I had to buy just a few additions today while I was at workJust a few more colors that I did not have a lot of to make sure it will be bright and colorful.  Adding just a few new additions to "old scraps" makes the whole project feel fun and exciting!


One perk of working at a fabric store ~ cutting myself 3 inch strips of each one of these fabrics so I would have a nice variety of colors and prints in my quilt.  About $15 for all of this (before my discount).
Post a Comment