Once I begun, I realized that it wasn't quite what I originally thought it was.
I've mentioned that I'm kind of spontaneous and a lot of times I just dive right into a project, right?
Well, if I would have looked a little closer at the details and instructions of this quilt, I would have realized that this quilt is small. Like 37-ish inches small. Total. The photo of it in the book [Sugar Sack Quilts by Glenna Hailey] was kind of deceiving to my eye. Everything looked bigger than it really was. I assumed that the checkerboard border was probably 2-1/2" squares [finishing at 2"] with some decent size flowers. I was excited for this little hand applique project.
I had to switch gears. And that took me some time.
For a month or so, I stewed over what method of applique to do. I didn't think I had time to hand applique it. It was a sample for the store so I needed to whip it out. Plus, with all of the little curves and crevices of the flowers, I knew it would be a beast. I went back and forth. I could feel myself putting this off in my mind. Dreading it. In fact, I was OVER it and kind of regretted suggesting to make it. I definitely had a million other projects to do and decided I didn't want to deal with this one. But I knew I had to get going.
So, following the authors instructions, I decided to used the Heat n Bond method. But, instead of hand stitching around each piece per her instructions I decided to just machine applique them on with a straight stitch.
Well, finally, she's finished. I just decided to dig my feet in and go for it. I am happy with how it turned out. The little checkerboard pieces are cute and it's a nice size for a wall hanging. I still think this whole thing would be cute if it were twice the size but hey, I guess I learned a few lessons ~
* Read the small print on any project you're about to start.
* Don't take on more than you can handle - no matter how darling you think it is.
* And sometimes, you just gotta buck up and do what you said you were going to do :)