Friday, May 18, 2012

Two steps forward, one step back

You may know that I have been working on my Scrap Jar Stars quilt for a couple of months now.  I made it a goal to work on it several times a week and just recently started to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Since I was home with a cold yesterday and my kids were at school for a good chunk of the day, I was able to spend about six or seven hours working on it.  I was so excited with the progress I made!  I got done what would have normally taken me a week to do ~ in one day.  I am just about finished with the top.  I only have a few more rows to sew together.  Last night, I had it all laid out on our landing floor (just outside my sewing room) and told my family not to let our new puppy upstairs because I had a quilt laid out.

Well, I guess it wasn't the dog I had to worry about.

I woke up early this morning and decided I might have time to get another row sewn on before I needed to get my kids ready for school.  Upon arrival to the landing I noticed little pink spots all over several of the blocks. 



After much thought about how that could have happened and what I should do about it (and telling myself that crying wouldn't help :) I have decided that I will just carry on.  After a little investigation I realized that it's marker and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will come out in the wash since it was diluted and washable.  You see, my daughter has this easel set up on the landing and my quilt was on the floor between the easel and the bathroom.  I think what probably happened was that she used a wet towel to clean off red marker on her drawing board and it dripped across the entire quilt on the way back to the bathroom.  About 11 blocks are affected.  It must have been a soaking wet towel.

So I saw this on Pinterest a couple of days ago and normally pass these babies by since they are WAAAY over used but lately it seems as if I've needed this reminder plastered to my forehead or something.  LOL.  Do you ever go through phases when everything seems to be trying your patience?


So today, I was calm.  There were no tears, no angry words to my daughter, no giving up on my quilt.  Just dealing with it.  I'm putting on my big girl pants and continuing to sew.  But if you have any advice for me about laundering this quilt I would love to hear it.  I'm not the best at getting stains out so all I'm planning on doing is putting in a few of my Shout Color Catchers and washing it in cold water.  Do you know of any good products to use to get the marker spots out?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me :)
Happy Quilting!
Amber
Post a Comment