Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Summer House Hexagon Quilt - Finished

We're into our second full week of summer around here and I am loving it!  And to be quite honest, I'm actually surprised to hear myself saying that!  Usually after a few days of the kids being home all day, I'm sick of listening to fighting and my house looking like a tornado.  But, my kids are growing up (they're 8 and 10 now) and they're finally starting to pull their own weight around here :)

I think this Summer House hexagon quilt is fitting in perfectly with our summer so far - bright and happy!


I decided to make this quilt a few weeks ago so it could be a display in the quilt shop I work at.  We have a Shop Hop going on this week and I thought it would be fun to showcase a project using the Hex N More ruler by Jaybird Quilts. I also thought it would be nice to make a quilt using a black background.  I've done it before (HERE) and the quilt ended up being one of my favorites.  Plus, a lot of the quilts we feature in our store use white and I always think it's nice to mix things up a bit.


So.  Here are my two cents on the Hex N More ruler: 
It's a little pricey but I think it is worth the $24 dollars.  I plan on doing another project with it again soon and it made cutting out the hexagons and triangles - a breeze!  And for a little cost comparison - the cute hexagon pre-cuts that Moda has put out recently are around $17 US dollars so I think the cost of the ruler is definitely worth it.  You can cut several size hexagons, half hexagons, jewel shapes and triangles with it AND you can use your own fabric so the possibilities are endless!  (These are just my own thoughts - not getting paid for this little promo :)


Anyways, it was a fun, easy to use ruler and the project went together really quickly! 


 I chose for my quilter to do my favorite little swirl all over it (in a happy yellow thread).  My backing is black minky - so soft and cuddly.


So, it's confession time. 
I tried to do a machine binding on this.  It was my first time ever.  Seriously - I've never even attempted a machine binding before!  So I Googled, "Machine Binding Tutorial" and Cluck, Cluck, Sew's tutorial was the first one to come up.  Since I love Allison's blog, I read through her tutorial a couple of times.  It seemed easy enough so I decided to give it a go.  Yeah.  I suck at machine bindings.  It's definitely something that takes time to perfect.  I ended up ripping it all out and sewing the whole thing on by hand.  

Yuck.  Props to you people that can do it. I need your tips.


Fabrics used: Summer House collection by Henry Glass, Lime Bunting from Happy Go Lucky by Bonnie and Camille for Moda, Ta Dot (color: Lips) from Michael Miller, plus a few other ones thrown in just for fun.  The black dot background is an Essential Dot from Moda.

Kits are available.  Just call 801-492-7929.

Happy quilting!
~ Amber



Post a Comment