Framed USA Fabric Art Tutorial

Monday, July 1, 2013

 I always seem to be lacking a few details in my holiday decor so I was excited to make up this USA Fabric Art project quickly, using supplies I had on hand!  It was such a piece of cake to make that I whipped up two more to give as gifts ~ within a matter of minutes!  So if you're all about quick crafts (like me) then this tutorial is for you!


 So here's what you'll need if you want to make
some framed USA fabric art too:

(1) 8" x 10" frame
Heat 'n Bond lite
7" x 9" piece of navy fabric
10" x 12" piece of beige fabric
 ball point pen
scissors
iron and ironing board
PDF printout of the USA (click HERE)

Note: Because the process of using Heat 'n Bond reverses whatever image you begin with, I have created a PDF file of the USA that is reversed so that it will end up facing the right direction when you're done.


 1. Using a ball point pen, trace the reversed image of the USA onto the paper side of Heat 'n Bond.


2.  Roughly cut around the USA.
 

3.  Iron the USA to the wrong side of the navy fabric (paper side up!) 


4.  Cut out the USA on the lines.


5.  Trim your beige background fabric to 8" x 10".


 6.  Carefully peel off the paper from the USA 
(make sure the sticky side of the Heat 'n Bond 
stays on the wrong side of the USA).


7.  Center the USA onto the 8" x 10" beige rectangle.


 8.  Frame it and you're done!
 
See?  I told you it was a quick project!
Super simple and super cute.  And, if you want to personalize it a little bit, you could even add a red heart to where your state sits. I think that would add the perfect pop of color!
 
Happy Fourth!
 
~Amber

7 comments:

  1. Very clever Amber. I LOVE the idea of putting a little red touch where you live!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple and cute. I'm going to see what fabrics I have on hand to use:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, Amber. I can't wait to get started making some for the 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever project. Thank you for the tutorial. Also thank you for the PDF with the template all turned around! I appreciate how sweet you are to think of saving us the time to reverse the template. I think the idea of the little red button on your state would be perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the cutest, simple sweet idea, I love it.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber