Valentine's Day is just around the corner and I wanted to share this little tutorial for a sweet placemat I designed using Lakehouse Dry Goods' new Sunrise Studio Scalloped Print Panel fabric that's available in stores now. This scalloped print fabric comes in a variety of colors that all coordinate with their new PamKittyGarden collection (which I am completely in love with!) Check out The Fat Quarter Shop for a great selection of all of these fabrics (and this is not a paid advertisement :) I just loooove the Fat Quarter Shop!)
Love You Placemat
Finished size: 17" x 20 3/4"
2/3 yd Sunrise Studio Scalloped Print Panel (color: cherry)
1 fat quarter for applique background (red and white heart print)
1 fat quarter for applique (black)
1/4 yard Heat 'N Bond lite (17" wide double-sided fusible adhesive)
5/8 yard for backing
6" x width of fabric for binding
22" x 26" piece of batting
Love You template (click HERE for PDF file)
1. Cut 4 strips of scallops by first cutting along the printed "log" dots next to each set of scallops.
This space between the straight edge of the scallops and the log dots is your seam allowance.
Next, trim these scalloped strips into 4 1/4" wide strips.
Trim two of the strips so they have 4 full scallops plus 1/4" on each end for the seam allowances. They should measure 4 1/4" x 15 1/2". Trim the other two strips so they have 3 full scallops plus 1/4" on each end for the seam allowances. They should measure 4 1/4" x 12".
2. Cut four 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" white squares from the remainder of the panel.
3. Trim your red and white heart print fat quarter to 12" x 15 1/2".
1. Sew the 4 1/4" x 12" scalloped strips onto the short ends of your heart print rectangle with right sides together. Press the seam allowances toward the scallops.
2. Sew a white square onto each end of the two 4 1/4" x 15 1/2" scalloped strips. Press the seam allowances toward the scallops. Then sew the two strips onto the rectangle unit. Press the seam allowances toward the scallops.
3. Trace the "Love You" template onto the paper side of the Heat 'N Bond.
Roughly cut out the words.
Press the words (paper side up) onto the wrong side of the black fabric.
Cut out the words on the traced lines. Peel off the paper and center the words onto the red heart print rectangle. Press the words with a warm iron to adhere in place.
4. Stitch around all the letters using black thread and a straight stitch (about 1/16" inside the raw edges). Just go slow and you'll be fine!
1. Make a quilt sandwich with the placemat top, batting and the backing fabric. Quilt as desired. I had my neighbor, Cathy Barney, quilt it for me using Mono Poly invisible clear thread. She did an all-over squiggly design that doesn't compete with the words or scallops. I love it!
2. Trim the placemat (and any excess batting or backing) leaving 3/4" between the tips of the scallops and the edge of the placemat.
3. Bind the placemat using two 2 1/4" x width fabric strips and it's ready to use! Serve up some sweet little goodies to your loved ones and they'll (for sure) feel special!
This quick project is perfect for Valentine's Day or any day that you want to say I love you!
I've got some extra scalloped fabric that I would LOVE to share with one of you so just leave a comment below telling me about any Valentine's Day traditions you have in your family and I'll pick a winner this weekend!