Project Teen Book Review

Thursday, July 2, 2015

When I was at Fall Quilt Market '15 I met Melissa Mortenson, 
the author of Project Teen and new fabric designer with Riley Blake Designs.  
She was there promoting her darling fabric line called Derby Style.  
I had been following Melissa's blog, The Polka Dot Chair for a long time and knew she was awesome.  I mean, come on - the tutorials she shares are genius!  Seriously, she's the kind of girl that makes me say, "how does she do all that?"


Melissa is so sweet.  Right before it was time to leave Market she kindly gave me a copy of Project Teen and I read it cover to cover on the airplane ride home!  It was so great.  It's full of tips for simple applique, favorite tools, how to print on fabric and even how to trouble shoot problems with your machine.  My favorite part about the book is that it offers 21 quick projects that get me out of my [quilting] box!  Like this monogrammed towel:


With Summer in full swing now, I knew I wanted to make towels for each of my kids.  We always have towels lying around, don't you?  For some reason, at our house, they can't quite seem to find their way to the hooks just two feet away :).  The great thing is though, I was able to whip up two towels in just an hour or two.  And, my kids are LOVING the fact that they're monogrammed with their initials!


I let my son and daughter pick out their monogram colors to accent the HUGE, SOFT 6' long towels I bought (thanks Target!) and the accent ribbon used for the hanger and trim.



I know we won't have any trouble now determining who left 
their towel on the floor!


I love the fact that these were fun and quick to make.  I've been stuck on some long-term quilt projects over here so working with ribbon, fusible web and fuzzy terry cloth (and getting it done the same day I started!) was just the breath of fresh air I needed.  

Next-up on my list of must-makes from Project Teen is the Swiss Flag Zipper Pouch.  I get to try my hand at distressing duck cloth - so I'm excited!


So basically, Project Teen = great book with great projects!
(A lot of them would be great to give as gifts too!)

Happy stitching, 
Amber


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Amber! What a nice surprise it was to wake up to see this post in my reader! I'm so glad that you liked the book. I hope that I run into you again soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a sewing projects for my 13 year old granddaughter. I am excited about this great Teen book. Thanks for the review Amber!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber