Pineapple Quilt [Finished]

Friday, December 9, 2016

I just realized that I never showed you my Pineapple quilt!  It's probably my most favorite "make" to date and (if I'm allowed to say this) the one I'm most proud of - only because it took about 100 hours to make so it was a really involved, time consuming project and I love the way it turned out.  I can't believe I haven't posted about it yet...sheesh!  :)

So, let's go back to how it all began...
 
~ THE INSPIRATION ~
One day, I was looking around on Pinterest trying to find a good pineapple quilt pattern to work on at a quilt retreat I was about to go to.  When what to my wondering eyes did appear, but the most beautiful pineapple quilt I ever did see.  I tried to contact the maker and get the information so that I could make the pattern too.  All she told me is that it was a pineapple block.  But I needed more.  I needed this quilt.  I needed the pattern!  I just HAD to make this quilt.  Exactly like it.  100%. 

Photo cred: MerryMary10/Flickr

I'm attaching the picture (and the link) that inspired me.  Because in no way, shape or form, am I trying to take credit for this quilt.  Also, I have to preface all of this by saying that I think the original quilt (above) is far better than mine.  I just love it so much.  I hope (I think) this is where the adage comes into play, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".  
 

~ THE JOURNEY ~
 So, I set out to find a pineapple block that was extra large and where all the slices continued out evenly into the corners.  That was a lot harder to find than you would think.  In fact, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I designed my own.  Each block took me about an hour to paper piece.  And I loved every minute of it!  Do you like to paper piece?  My tutorial for paper piecing these exact blocks is HERE if you'd like to try it!     


I eventually decided to sell these paper patterns in my shop because I thought others might want them too.  They finish at 12-3/8" x 12-3/8" - so they're quite large and make a big impact.  You can purchase the set of 36 papers HERE.


After I got the blocks made, I began working on the outer borders.  I got two sides finished before I realized that the white background I had used was the wrong color!!!  Does stuff like that ever happen to you?  Well, that really set me back.  I had to put the project away and regroup.  Finally, I pulled it back out, gave those two borders to a creative friend (who I knew could come up with some fantastic way of how to use them) and started over.  I just didn't want to have any regrets, ya know?

Finished quilt measures approximately 90" x 90".

I finally finished in time to show it at a retreat I was teaching and presenting at last February.  And I have to admit, I had a little help at the last minute.  I was trying so hard to get all the applique done in time and came to find out that each side was taking me about 10 hours to do.  The thought of doing 40 hours worth of applique in a span of a week had me totally overwhelmed.  So, my sweet friend Aniva came to the rescue.  She appliqued one side of the border so I could get it to my quilter quicker.  What a great friend, huh?!?

Melissa Kelley (@sewshabbyquilting) quilted it for me within a week with some of the most amazing hand-guided long-arm quilting I have seen.  Seriously, breathtaking.  Here are some closeup shots of the quilting...



The back: 


For the life of me I can't remember who the designer is of that fabric.  Anyone know?  I thought the colors were perfect for this quilt and then the birds just put me over the edge!  I had to get it!



~ THE LESSONS~
I think sometimes you learn life lessons from creative endeavors, don't you?  I started this quilt in February 2014 and finished it two years later.  Almost one year later, I blogged about it.  So here's what I learned: I never claimed to be 100% on the ball and sometimes set backs come our way.  But if we keep plugging away at things (life) and give it our best and surround ourselves with good friends and family that lift us up, things always have a way of working themselves out.

Well, thanks for letting me share this journey with you. 
Have a great weekend!
~ Amber


38 comments:

  1. Amber. Some time ago you posted the pattern for your candy hearts baby quilt. May I have your permission to use that pattern for a quilt I am donating to a charity auction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! What a lovely thing to do. Thank you for asking.

      Delete
  2. I saw your version of this quilt (or perhaps part of it) on Pinterest and just fell in love with it. I have to say that I also like the "original" but they are like fraternal twins, each lovely in their own right.

    I need to order some of your papers and start looking at pink and green scraps. Just the ticket to help me slog through the dark days of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt!. I purchased your set of pineapple block papers ages ago and still haven't used them. This just might be the motivation I need. It is truly a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I bought the papers for this quilt after seeing you work on it. I haven't used them yet tho. Incredible job, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt! I love everything about it. It's definitely on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful! Great job and of course, Melissa is my very favorite quilter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it in modern colours. The backing is perfect. Well done. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, Need it, Want to make it................

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this so much and bought your papers, too! And I finished the top awhile back. I tagged you on IG at the time and you did respond so I know you saw it. Some day I will quilt it - have not gotten that far yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a stunning quilt! I'm glad I took the time to see it on the bigger screen of my laptop! You should be very proud of this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is absolutely spectacular!!! It definitely is a labour of love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this quilt so much! Had to get the papers to make my own. Omg! The backing... Love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, now, I think THIS is the most beautiful pineapple quilt I've ever seen! The border just makes it for me. It calms down the business of the pineapple blocks and adds some pretty daintiness to the quilt. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt and have enjoyed reading about your journey with it. This is truly a labor of love and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a stunner! The time frame matters not a bit; too much is made of progress, and completion. This is one,that will be stuck in my brain, I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a stunning quilt. That is a lot of precise paper piecing!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt turned out just as beautiful (if not more) as the original inspiration quilt. I love everything about it and will be pinning it right away for my own source of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's absolutely wonderful! I've always wanted to make a pineapple quilt, but I don't think I have the stamina--lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two years to finish. It is well worth the wait. Gorgeous quilt with outstanding quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a gorgeous quilt! The colors, design and the quilting is perfect for it too! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amber, you've got to take this quilt and show it to Gigi. She will love seeing it! I have shown her your pictures on IG and I know she thinks it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's beautiful!! Well worth sticking with until the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is stunning work...by everyone. Your story makes it even more beautiful! Thanks for sharing🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete
  24. Went to buy your pattern...none left in your shop. Will you get more? This quilt is sooo inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the most beautiful quilt. I think the colors are what draws me in. I have long wanted to make a pineapple quilt and this may be the push I need. Thank you for sharing the experience. I am on my way now to look at your paper piecing tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful quilt! Looks like the backing fabric is Belle Rose by Michael Miller (available at Hawthornethreads.com).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful quilt! Looks like the backing fabric is Belle Rose by Michael Miller (available at hawthornethreads.com)

    ReplyDelete
  28. B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Wow.... love the colours........very bright and pleasing to the eye. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful. It will light up the room.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!! I feel as you did when you saw the first quilt that inspired you. I am ordering the papers right away, thank you so much for making them available!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am crazy for the pineapple block and thrilled that I found this post. I now have a tutorial to teach me how to paper piece. Thanks! I love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber