Five Fat Quarter Fun Presents: Cabin Fever

Friday, January 13, 2017

Hi there!

It's time for round 2 of Five Fat Quarter Fun!

Amanda (@jedicraftgirl) and I are having so much fun creating projects that use just 5 fat quarters (plus maybe a little yardage).  These patterns are free, quick and lots of fun to make!  We hope to keep this up for a whole year and we have some exciting things planned so we hope you'll stay tuned!

This month...

This lap size quilt was inspired by simple snowflakes so I chose 5 wintry fat quarters that I had in my stash.  Of course, these blocks are generic enough for any color/themed fabrics so go ahead and do your fabric pull!


When it came to finishing this quilt, I found the deer silhouette fabric in my stash but I only had a yard - which was not enough!  But you know when you find something you just fall in love with - you just have to have it!  Unfortunately, I was on a super tight deadline so I could get this pattern to you this month, so I didn't have time to search around and/or order it online.  But I decided to try just one local quilt shop (that I knew carried some Art Gallery fabrics) to see if they just might have it.  And guess what!  They had exactly the amount I needed so I took it all!  It was perfect!


Then, a few days later I had a similar experience with the binding fabric!  I had enough of the grey/black dot fabric in my stash to bind it with but my heart was really set on using the red plaid.  Again, I didn't really have time to search around for it and I knew it had been in quilt shops for a several months so my chances of finding it were slim but I decided that I would try just one quilt shop (a differrent one, that I knew carried a lot of Moda fabrics).  I walked into the shop, the woman working there asked me if I was looking for anything particular, I described the plaid, she walked right over to it and I about died!  I couldn't believe my luck!


Cathy Barney quilted it for me using a pattern called "Even Simpler Cable" by Legacy Quilting.  It matches the light red fabric really well and I loved the knit sweater vibe it gave so it was a no-brainer choice for quilting!


This winter has been mild for us (which is weird because we're right at the base of these mountains here in Utah) but I felt like it was fitting to bind and photograph this quilt on this beautiful, snowy day.  I love the snow!


 If you'd like to get this FREE pattern, click HERE.  

Be sure to stop by Amanda's blog, Jedi Craft Girl, to read all about her neutral farmhouse version of Cabin Fever.  It's darling and her living room & dining room are too!!!


And if you're on Instagram be sure to tag Amanda and I at @jedicraftgirl and @gigis_thimble.  We'd love to see your versions of any of our Five Fat Quarter Fun projects!  Be sure to use the hashtag #fivefatquarterfun.

Thanks for stopping by today.
Happy quilting!
~ Amber

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this free pattern, I've been searching for a few days for a quilt pattern that uses 5 fat quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the inspiration! Can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your work and effort! I think I will give it a try as soon as I have some time! I'm an absolute beginner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that cable quilting! And the red plaid is so, so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the simplicity of the fabric and pattern. Thanks for 5 fat quarter fun. I am in LOVE with the deer silhouette fabric. Need to find some in STL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt! How beautiful !!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad everything worked out for you when you needed the fabrics :)! That was wonderful! This quilt is beautiful and I just love the quilting on it. Thank you for the fun and free patterns with just 5 Fat Quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great quilt and I always love free patterns. Love your fabric choices. Thanks for both and I will definitely be back to see the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quilt is so beautiful I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this quilt! Thank you for sharing your talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fantastic quilt, love it! I've printed the pdf (thanks for making it so easy!)and put it with my 5 fat quarter bundle, so everything is ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt is fantastic, love it! I've printed the pdf (thanks for making it so easy!) and put it with my 5 fat quarter bundle, so it's all ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this and the link - this will be a great pattern to share with my quilt guild for charity quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All three of the Fat Quarter Quilts are adorable. The only question is which to sew first. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the free pattern. I have just the fat quarter bundle to use with this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this beautiful quilt. The instructions are so easy to follow. Thank you for your creativity and generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delighted to find this pattern today. I was looking for a FQ friendly pattern and only have 5 FQs that I want to use. This is gonna be perfect!!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber