Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Haunted House Quilt

WARNING: There is not a witch, ghost, or pumpkin on any of the fabrics in this "Halloween" quilt.  If that does not suit your fancy, turn back now.


I just finished this quilt last night.
The only fabrics I had to buy were for the outer border and binding. 
The rest came from my stash. 
(Who knew I had that many blacks, whites and oranges in there!?!)

The pattern for this quilt came from the book called, Folk Art Quilts: A Fresh Look by Sandy Bonsib.  I've made quite a few quilts from it, including this and this.  A few years ago I met a blogger that had made this quilt up in Halloween fabrics and I knew that I wanted to do that too.


A friend borrowed my book and now it's in storage (that's another story) so I didn't have my pattern, but I did find the house block pattern (for free!) on Sandy Bonsib's website HERE.  It was easy enough to figure out the sashing, posts and borders so I was able to do it pretty much the same as Sandy's quilt.  Her pattern is called "Home is Where You Hang Your Heart" and she had a cute little heart hanging from one of the houses, so I decided to hang a moon to keep with the Halloween theme.  I hung it from the only block that doesn't have polka dots on it, so, of course, the moon had to be in dots to compensate :)


The outer border fabric is called Halloween Night Dot in Black Orange from the line, Halloween Night by Minick and Simpson for Moda.  The binding is called Awesome Cross Hatch in Pumpkin from the line, Awesome by Sandy Gervais for Moda.


And pom poms. 
Oh, the pom poms. 
I had no idea how labor intensive it would be to sew them on, but I endured the 3 hours it took me to sew them into the binding [I think anyone else could have done them a lot faster.  I think I'm just really slow.]  And p.s., they wash up well.  However, I think they shrink because my quilt is not laying flat...don't know what to do about that.


Anyways, more scraps on the back.


Can you see the spiderweb quilting design?  Kayleen Parry in Lehi, UT. did a fantastic job quilting this for me.


Since I don't have any "Halloween" prints in my stash I decided to bring in the spiderweb design in my quilting (just to spruce things up a bit).  Neither the house blocks or the fabrics are "Halloweeny" so I thought it needed just a little something that screamed "Halloween". 
No pun intended.
Post a Comment